Friday 1 November 2013

Wont be asking "what if...."

Is this my new life, I don't know.
I just know that I am bored, really bored working in the office environment for a company that needs you so that they can make money.
I have always been a loyal and hard working person but now it's time for me to do something for me.
Luckily I have amazing parents who support me in my new adventure, so if things go the wrong way I will always be welcome home again.

Started working a long long time ago, and has been pretty bored of the 9-5 office work for a lot of years. But it wasn't until August 2011 when I went volunteering on Koh Tao with New Heaven Dive school and Kaya Volunteer that I re-discovered the fun in working.
Had the best 4 weeks for a long time doing land volunteering, it was rewardering, educational and the people were wonderful.
When I got back home I decided I wanted to learn more so in August 2012 I went to Pom Pom Island, Borneo, and took a course in Advanced Marine Science for 3 months with TRACC. I took leave of abscence from my ordinary job to do this.
My 3 months on Pom Pom had their ups and downs, but on the whole that trip was fantastic and I met the most amazing group of people.
Things happened that were out of anyones control, we had to move our camp site and start from scratch with building a camp, a kitchen, getting supplies etc. This took time away from my classes in Marine Science and the volunteer work. I just got there at the wrong time.
I did learn to dive, that was a bit scary in the beginning but thanks to a fantastic instructor I got the confidence I needed to complete with Open Water.
The Advanced OW I did with another instructor, he was also great. Very calm and patient.
Looking at the pictures from the TRACC-camp on Pom Pom now, wow, they have come a long way since I was there, it looks great!
I gained so much knowledge there and also learned a lot about myself.

Getting back home I had to keep on studying so that I could do the Advanced Marine Science exam. Finally in July I took the exam and in August I received an e-mail telling me I passed! In November I finally received my exam certificate!

After Pom Pom I felt even stronger that I didn't want to waste my life away sitting in an office. So I decided to take a leap and leave the safety net here in Sweden!
In January 2014 I am leaving for Koh Tao again this time doing an intership in Marine Conservation for 6 months!
I was prepared to resign from my job but I didn't have to, they gave my leave of abscence for 6 months. So if I realise that the life I will be living on Koh Tao isn't for me, then I have the option to go back to work again.
If it is for me, than I will quit my office job, and look for a job somewhere where the sun is shining, the seas are blue and the sand is warming. I wont be making a lot of money doing it, but that's not what is important. It is much more important having fun and enjoying life.

Now I'm in full swing making all the arrangements for going away for some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment