Sunday 13 April 2014

Thai New Year, installing mooring lines and more

Well I've been busy with "work" and having a good fun time lately.

We've been installing mooring lines at different sites around the island. One of the mooring line installments meant that we first had to find the Trident wreck at about 30-35 metres. I was in a team with Pau, Alej and Melody and we swam right into it and sent up the marker for Chad who then made the actual installation of the ropes. Then the surface team made the final arrangements.

Yesterday we celebrated Songran which is the Thai New Year, it was loads of fun and involved a lot of water being thrown, talk powder being smeared on your face and a lot of drinking from early morning :)
It was an awesome day together with the New Heaven and Koppee team with lots of laughs, love and friends enjoying themselves.

Tonight is full moon, so in a few days we will be night diving again to watch for the coral spawning. Hopefully this time it will happen so that we can collect eggs and sperm for fertilization and then put the fertilized eggs in our tanks waiting for the coral larvae to settle on the concrete mushrooms we've been making during the week.
If all goes well I'll be able to watch them grow in the tanks until they are big enough to be moved into the ocean and one of our coral nursery sites.

I've also seen my sister!! I went to Koh Samui Friday-Saturday just so that I could see her, it was absolutely fantastic to see her. I realised just how much I've missed her when I saw her again. On Saturday she and Sofie is coming to Koh Tao and about a week after that my dad and uncle will join them here!! Wohooo, it's gonna be happy days!

I might have some interesting things to tell you about in my next update by the way.......
A coral feeding during daytime

Sea urchin

Pau happy for a job well done after we found Trident

Mooring line installation


Lot of tying to secure the mooring

A happy me with talk powdered cheeks


Live music during the late afternoon

No comments:

Post a Comment