Monday 13 April 2015

camp life

It's been an interesting week to say the least.
I've gotten my tent decorated, bought a dresser so I can have my clothes and stuff in order. Gotten two small mats, one that I have outside and one right inside the tent, my hope is to be able to get to bed with clean feet :) It's been working ok so far. At least I've managed to keep the sand outside.

Not been able to dive yet since I've been working almost 24/7. But the water temperature is only 22 degrees right now and viz max 6 meters so it's not too bad to miss out. But still it would've been nice to be able to cool down occasionally. And they have seen so many cool things on their dives, pipefish, seahorse, nudis etc

Here's such a contrast to New Heaven Reef Conservation Program, people, organization, living conditions, phone- and internet connection, food etc. It's not a bad contrast, it's just very different.
I haven't met the head of this conservation program yet, hopefully I will get the chance to sit down with him soon,
A few hours ago I found out that I'm leaving camp to go to Pom Pom, don't know for how long, how much to bring or anything, but it's just to pack for a few days and see what happens :)

It's only been a week yet and I'm still getting to know the staff and volonteers. I can see that there is a need for getting us together as a team where all of us help eachother and are willing to give that little extra. I also need to work on being a good manager without being to uptight :)
There are some good people working for the project, it just needs to get a bit more organized and time managed. I hope I will be able to make that happen together with the other team members.
I plan on staying for a while, my first VISA-run isn't until June 27th, then I'm going to Bali for a week.

Camplife is also a bit hard for me, not used to being dirty all the time :) but that was expected since I'm a bit fuzzy when it comes to cleanliness. But at least my tent is spotless.

I don't have any mobile- or internet connection in camp, still getting used to that.

The sunsets and ocean is absolutely stunning though, the view is amazing and the stars are beautiful.
The project the professor is running is also a really good thing, so I really hope I have the energy and stamina to stay on. It's such great work he's doing, and I do want to be a part of that,

Tomorrow I'll be in Kota kinabalu and the fantastic Horizon Hotel for a night, Hope to give you another update then.

When someone comes and get me at Tommy's (closest place with internet and served me raw chicken that I asked them to heat up :)) I will pack my smaller bag, hopefully I won't be away for to long.
Don't even know if I'll be based on the mainland here at the Northern Tip or if I'll be moving to Pom Pom. Really hope I will find that out soon.

Miss you all family and friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment