Saturday 10 May 2014

heavy lifting

It's been a wonderful week of diving with surveys, artificial reef maintenance and building two concrete mooring blocks in Chalok.
Concrete is heavy in the water, let me tell you it's even more heavy on land. Yesterday we moved 25 pieces of concrete with an average weight of 70 kg's. After moving them on land we also had to install them in the water (that was the easy part :))
After we had fisnied installing the first longtail boat come and we watched it use one of our newly created moorings, that felt pretty good.
During May loads more of these will be installed around the island, This is a collaboration between the DMCR (Department of Marine and Coastal Resources), longtail captains and us.
The negative from ysterday was that when I packed my gear my regulator was missing from the dive school. After all dive boats were back from the dive we all checked through everything again, but no sign of my reg.
I mentioned that I was going to the police today to file a report for insurance purposes, and two hours after that it mysteriuosly re-appeared.... Don't know who had it or who brought it to the shop.
I'm happy to have my reg back put unfortunately whoever took it has scratched and made a crack and the glass on the pressure gauge, the dust cap wasn't screwed in properly either. Monday I go back diving so then I will see if the crack in the glass is to deep and if there is something else that person has done with my reg.
I'm very disappointed in whoever took it, from now on I will keep my reg and BCD with me, even if that means that I have to carry it back and forth from my home every day.
The good thing is that I also discovered that it is some great people out there. One person here on Koh Tao contacted me when she heard the news and offered to lend me an old reg that was newly serviced for my rest of my stay here. That was so very kind of her.

News flash! I now know who took my reg and will have a word with him about the scratched glass! It was one of the freelance dive instructors who took mine instead of his own, how he can make that mistake I have no idea since me reg is very different and weigh much less than the other private regs here.

Here's some more pictures for you.

Storm over Koh Phangnan and Koh Samui, blue skys over Koh Tao

One of the turtles we saw at Hing Nam pinnacle


A marbled seacucumber feeding, they are so cool

Isn't it beautiful?

A young coral fighting for survival amongst all the algae

A young and an old boring clam


No comments:

Post a Comment