Saturday 4 January 2014

Packing, preparing and things to think about

With less than 3 weeks until take-off I started packing all my dive equipment, can't believe how much stuff it is.
My bag is already getting full and I haven't even started on clothes and shoes and other stuff.
I think I'll have to be really smart when packing, but the most important things are the dive equipment, battery charges and re-chargeable batteries, my water bottle, a small water-cooker, food-containers, contact lenses and my http://www.renskincare.com/ skincare products, and DVD's to watch when at my new home. I have bought The walking dead, Son's of anarchy, Fast and the Furious, Oceans, and a few other DVD's.

I have only a few things left on my list of things to do, which feels great.

When going on a trip like this, if you like me have an apartment and a full time job, there are a couple of things to think about:
1. Can you get leave of abscence from you work? I got it because in Sweden if you want to study your job can't say no
2. When renting out your apartment, make sure you have a good contract
3. Check your home insurance, what is your cover when you don't live there
4. Travel insurance, check carefully how you are covered. I choose World Nomads because no insurance companies in Sweden were able to cover me
5. Read about the country you are going to, their culture and how to behave. Respect the country and culture  you are visiting, you are their guest.
6. Re-chargable batteries and a charger. Don't forget an adapter for the electricity
7. Reflex and a flash light (if going to an area where this is needed)
8. Bring your own water bottle that you can refill and food container for left overs, perfect for a cold breakfast
9. Be aware that things doesn't run as smoothly as in your own country, patience, a smile and respect will get you a long way. And depending on where you travel, check out the rules for staying
10. Take copies of your travel documents, passport and travel insurance
11. When there - don't litter, think about your water- and energy consumption, respect nature and don't support animal/marine parks, and be consious of what you eat and where it comes from.
12. Don't be afraid to ask for help, people in general are really helpful when you ask for it.
13. Be safety consious, don't ever drink and drive (motorbike, moped, bicycle or car), use relfex when it's dark and a flashlight if needed. Don't flash your money or valuables around, and make sure that when you have a night out you only bring what is absolutely necessary.

14. Respect people, ocean, animals and the environment and ask for help if you need to.

Thanks to http://www.kayavolunteer.com/ and their wonderful staff and http://www.newheavendiveschool.com/ I am well prepared

No comments:

Post a Comment